Friday 31 January 2014

The Librarian's Skillbook Skill #2: Electronic Indexing

Following on from Skill#1: Digitizing, the next skill in the Librarian's Skillbook is knowing how to index and catalogue items that have been digitized. This will make these items more meaningful and accessible to users. In my own work I am actually using Heritage Cirqa (ISOxford) to catalogue items from the archives. I realise this is probably not the best tool to use but I use Heritage as a main library catalogue and I wanted users to be able to conduct a single search to find items of interest in both the library and the archives. I am finding it a challenge as cataloguing something like a handwritten letter is totally different from cataloguing a book. I am learning that it is important to keep collections together as they are donated then cross reference them using keywords and dates.

I would be very interested to hear from anyone else who is using Heritage within an archive.

No comments:

Post a Comment